Friday, December 7, 2012

What is my purpose?

Everyone has a purpose in life.  We just may not have the same purpose as those around us.  To some the driving force in their life is money.  Money.  Money.  Money.  It's all about money.  Others live their life to serve those around them.  And others have yet to discover their purpose in life.  They just kind of drift through life. Not really living, just existing.  I think simply existing is one of the saddest things ever.   At the same time, I believe that we have many purposes in life.

 Part of my purpose is to experience this world.  I want to tell my grandchildren about the crazy adventures I had when I was young.  I think that if you don't try new things, you can't say that you don't like something.  I think that we learn from our grandparents even if we don't want to.  If you just sit down and listen to their stories, you learn a lot from their past experiences.

Going along with that I would love to travel and to experience other cultures.  I think that goes hand-in-hand with loving history.  I find it very funny that I feel strongly about setting down roots in rural America, and yet at the same time I want to travel.  I guess there is a difference between having a home to return to, and moving houses every couple of years.



Another purpose of mine is to help people.  I think that's why I love working at Dairy Queen so much, if I can make one person's day better by smiling at them or being nice, then I will.  I also love to give the little kids their ice cream, just to see the joy radiating from their faces.  Sometimes I really don't like my job, but then I remember that I am possibly changing someone's day, and that makes it better.  I think this wanting to help people is one of the reasons why I want to be a teacher. 
When I was little, I wanted to be a teacher so much, and then my dream changed for a while.  But now I'm back to wanting to be a teacher.  I want to teach history and geography to either high schoolers or college students.

 I also want to do something with writing, what that will be though, I'm not sure.  I would absolutely love to write papers on historical content.  History has always been a passion of mine, and  I think that is because of my Dad.  He is really into history as well, and it's fun to have that common bond between us.  When we went to Mesa Verde in Colorado, we both were enthralled with the history of the place.
I love it when people ask me questions about history and I am able to explain things to them.  I just
love that feeling of helping to expand minds.  I also think that we can learn a lotfrom history    There's a quote I love that says, " Those who do not remember the past, are condemned to repeat it."  It is so true, if people would think about the past, and the consequences that happened, I think that there would be a lot less mistakes made because nothing new has happened that hasn't happened before.  I love how I can read history and learn from other's mistakes.  I mean I now know that if you try and repress the French, they will probably cut your head off. Just kidding, but in all seriousness, history is a great teacher.  And I love to learn.  Part of my purpose in life isn't just to teach, it is to learn.
 

From the time I was little, I have loved to learn.  My mom used to read to me all the time.  Ever since  I was small, books have been a big part of my life.  I don't think there has ever been a time where I  haven't had a ton of books in my room.  Right now, I need more bookshelves.  My mom has said, that if she had never read to me when I was little, she wouldn't have to buy me so many books.  Jokingly said, of course.  But I think that there is some truth to her statement.  If you don't read to children when they are small, they won't like to read when they get older.  I also think that I have loved to   learn because my Dad would always talk about history, and make me sit and listen to the older   generation talk about what the world was like when they were younger.  I'm pretty sure that it was also kind of an inborn thing that I love to learn.  I hope that I never lose my drive to learn.  I think that people who think that they know everything are so wrong.  You can never know everything that you need to know, and that you will never learn all that there is to learn.
 We have lots of purposes in life, and that our purpose in life can change as we change and grow.  As  of right now, my main purpose in life is to learn and to become a teacher.  And after I get my degree my purpose will probably change a little bit and I will have a new purpose to live for.

1 comment:

  1. Kara,

    You can only become a history teacher if you can assure me that you are going to coach speech too!! You'd be awesome! I hope you do get to travel the world and bring those experiences back to your classroom!

    Dr. English

    ReplyDelete